Friday, January 18, 2013

Wait! Who just stole my spotlight!?

"If you wanna steal my show, I'll sit back and watch you go.

If you got something to say, go on and take it away."


Those are lyrics from Toby Mac's "Steal My Show," featured in the YouTube video below.

The first time I heard this song I was driving, my thumbs tapping. As the chorus played again, I started thinking. 

So many times we try to do things ourselves. We try to move mountains and jump over impossibly high hurdles. We attempt to achieve the impossible on our own. And fail.

Or we succeed and are left feeling empty.

It doesn't have to be that way. 

When I consider letting God "steal my show," I think about how much better my "performance" would be -- in everything. However, God would never steal anything from us. He's a gentlemen -- a friend reminded me of that this week. Our Heavenly Father would never force His way on us. He gives us the choice. He gives us free will to decide: let Him work in our lives -- or not.

For myself, I've found that when I've given God room to move and breathe in my life, I have more peace. That's not to say things don't get convoluted and difficult. I'm pretty good at throwing a monkey wrench into things from time to time, but fortunately God is more than a gentlemen. He's our Abba, our Daddy, who wipes up spilled milk, cleans our tear-stained faces and dusts off dirty our britches when we fall. 

What a relief!

Still, I think I would be responsible for fewer milk messes if I invited God to steal my show -- all day. Every day. Besides, sharing the spotlight with Him -- no, GIVING the spotlight to Him takes the pressure off. And I don't need anymore pressure! :)

If you haven't yet, listen to Toby Mac's song. It's a good one!


1 comment:

dann baverly said...

Hey i am i big fan of toby mac and so is my little sister! please..um...hi!

LinkWithin